Fire of my Loins
''Bitches leave.'' Food for the Intellectual Net Traveler


Sunday, November 03, 2002

There are so many words we come across in our everyday reading that we don't know the meaning to. What do I usually do? I usually try to decipher the meaning through the context in which it is used or try to figure out the root. When all else fails, I turn to my good ol' dictionary (2 part Britannica, free from Friends of Berkeley Public Library). This week, I will look up every word I don't know and post it in this blogpost. If you find the words I do not know simple, then I must be condemned as a simpleton, for that is all I am.

Main Entry: anad·ro·mous
Pronunciation: &-'na-dr&-m&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek anadromos running upward, from anadramein to run upward, from ana- + dramein to run -- more at DROMEDARY
Date: circa 1753
: ascending rivers from the sea for breeding -- compare CATADROMOUS


posted by Roger | 12:24 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
links
pictures
me?
wish list